May 2021 | Around the Pontchartrain Basin
WHAT IS STORM SWEEP?
Pontchartrain Conservancy will hold its Sixth annual Storm Sweep (previously known as Spring Sweep) as a month designated to clean up the Lake Pontchartrain Basin this May and to promote education about storm preparedness. Hurricane season is on the way, and we intend to be prepared! You can help prepare our communities for the coming summer rains. Join us for a catch basin and neighborhood clean-up, become an event sponsor, or both! Together we'll remove trash and debris so that our catch basins can adequately route stormwater out of our neighborhoods and our waterways can be litter-free!
Once you register below, we will email you the locations and dates of our cleanups happening around the Pontchartrain Basin by the end of April! You can choose the cleanup location that best fits your schedule or participate in multiple cleanups. Educational opportunities and materials will be shared on our website and social media throughout Storm Sweep this May!
HOW DO I REGISTER FOR A CLEANUP?
Steps to register:
1. Register yourself by clicking the button below
2. Make sure to sign the Volunteer Release Form
3. Be on the lookout for a finalized map of cleanup locations and dates around the Pontchartrain Basin by the end of April
4. The site captain for the cleanup location you choose will contact you with details before the event
5. Download the Clean Swell app to track litter picked up
6. Have a great time ending litter!
Participants should follow these guidelines due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic:
- Do not gather in large crowds
- Make sure you are in good health before the cleanup
- Wash and/or sanitize your hands frequently before, during, and after the cleanup
- Wear a mask and remain six feet apart if cleaning up with others
- Properly dispose of waste after tracking it
- Sanitize all supplies used after the cleanup
To proudly demonstrate your commitment to the safety and prosperity of our region, we invite you to participate as an event sponsor.
CLEAN SWELL APP
We want to help you track your impact! You can track how much and what kind of debris you picked up through the Clean Swell app.
Rather use pen and paper? You can download a data card here. Please be sure to email us your results so we can share what all of our volunteers accomplished!