Students will explore the origins and consequences of marine debris. They will illustrate the journey of a piece of discarded plastic and the events that occur as it enters a waterway. They will examine the data that reveals the pervasive impact it is having on water and widlife throughout the world. They will also propose possible solutions to curb marine debris.
- Exploring the origins and consequences of marine debris
- Illustrating the journey of a piece of plastic as it makes its way to a garbage patch
- Collecting and analyzing marine debris data from a transect
- Proposing possible solutions for marine debris
- Organizing and communicating the take-aways from this exploration
Students will identify the types of debris that are prevelant in marine debris.
Students will explain the primary pathways for marine debris.
Students will use a variety of tools to collect marine debris data.
Students will propose possible solutions for marine debris.
Students will organize and communicate the take-aways from this exploration.
Visit the Mississippi State University's "Citizen's Guide to Protecting the Mississippi Gulf Coast from Marine Debris" and read the following PDF version.