About the Interactive Videos
Join the Pontchartrain Conservancy's Education Department in a series of videos that encourage participants to learn more about their local environment. These videos are interactive, with places for you to pause and answer questions, make predictions, or design and test your own experiments. You are invited to participate in any way you can, from writing down answers to building models!
- Before watching a video, read its Pre-View Checklist to find out what supplies we suggest for hands-on participation.
- After watching a video, take the survey linked below and explore the rest of its Accompanying Materials for more information and activities.
- Look out for (Spoiler Alert!) tags. Those are next to any links that give away answers to questions in the video. If you want to avoid spoilers, save those Accompanying Materials for the end of the video.
Coastal Land Loss
Coastal Land Loss Video Survey
What is coastal land loss? What are the primary causes? What can we do about it? Explore this interactive video and accompanying materials to find the answers to these questions. Make predictions and/or try an erosion experiment. Meet Shelby Barrett, a Coastal Scientist who is working to mitigate coastal erosion.
- Pre-View Checklist
- Causes of Coastal Land Loss (Spoiler Alert!)
- Example of a Mind Map
- Model Shorelines Filter Experiment Directions
- Coastal Master Plan Projects
- Mitigation Matching Game Cards / Descriptions
- Mitigation Matching Game Answer Key (Spoiler Alert!)
- Challenge Activity: Design a Restoration Project
- Mitigation Projects Cost Reference
- Map of Land Loss in Louisiana (Source: Facing South)
Ecosystems of the Pontchartrain Basin Survey
What is an ecosystem? Which ecosystems are near me? What animals and plants live in a hardwood forest? In this activity, you will learn about ecosystems in the Pontchartrain Basin and create a visual model that shows both living and non-living parts of the ecosystem.
This webinar was produced and recorded in partnership with the National World War II Museum for their 2021 Scout Week Kickoff Event.
- Pre-View Checklist
- Example of an Ecosystem Model
- Video: How to Create and Ecosystem Model
- At Home Lab Sheet
- Bottomland Hardwood Forest Information (Spoiler Alert!)
- Full Ecosystems of the Basin At-Home Activity (Spoiler Alert!)
Hydrological Modifications Video Survey
What are hydrological modifications? What are the primary uses of these human-made structures? How do they work? Explore this interactive video and accompanying materials to find the answers to these questions. Make predictions and/or build and test a model hydrological modification.
Multiple Lines of Defense Strategy (MLODS)
How are coastal communities impacted by hurricanes? What lines of defense are employed to protect these low-lying areas? Explore this interactive video and accompanying materials to find the answers to these questions. Make predictions and/or design a line of defense strategy to protect a coastal community.